Stitcher is hiring a full-time engineer and sound designer to be based in Los Angeles. This role is responsible for the engineering, mixing, sound design, and sonic identity of Stitcher's growing roster of podcasts, which range from weekly host-driven shows (Longest Shortest Time, Unladylike, Couric), to sound-designed storytelling (LeVar Burton Reads, Gossip), to complex investigative serials (Stranglers, Heaven's Gate).
In addition to ensuring that the highest quality audio is captured and delivered, the Stitcher Engineer leads the creation and execution of industry-leading sound designs, collaborates with hosts and producers on the editing process, and ensures that our listeners always enjoy audio of the highest quality. This position reports directly to the Executive Producer.
What you'll do:
- Lead the technical process of recording, editing, and mixing episodes
- Lead and execute the creative aspects of the show, including sound design, scoring, and the development of new ideas for creative sound-scaping.
- Exercise creative and professional oversight in recording advertisements with wide ranging sponsor expectations
- Contribute editorial insight
- Lead the team in the design and improvement of production and operational workflow
- Design and maintain highly organized, professional-standard archival file systems and data workflows, including system backups
- Train and supervise staff in technical-skill development
- Identify and manage a small stable of freelance engineers
- Meet deadlines consistently and publish flawless final products
- Integrate with current Midroll audio engineers to manage and operate production facilities for all podcast activities including pre- and post-production engineering, voice-over and multi-track engineering
You should have:
Education & Experience/Certifications
- At least 2--3 years' experience working with podcasts, broadcasts and/or other audio and multimedia content
- High level of Pro Tools experience required, as well as familiarity with Waves, iZotope and other industry-standard 3rd party plugins
- Experience in field recording is preferred
- Experience as a live engineer is a bonus
Skills & Abilities
- Significant creative experience designing stereo soundscapes, ambiences, vocal and musical effects, and mixing to artistic effect
- Familiarity with generally-accepted podcast loudness standards, and ability to deliver episodes at consistent loudness levels according to in-house specifications.
- Past success in a fast, efficient, highly organized and disciplined group, with proven ability to consistently perform in a high volume, fast turnaround environment
- A musical ear and love of creating evocative sonic landscapes; understanding that sound is a character Experience with creative editorial; making choices in cutting and arranging content to professional standards of journalistic excellence, narrative continuity and comedic and dramatic pacing
- Proficiency with Mac computers and OSX operating system
- Passion for recording, editing and scoring audio storytelling
- Thorough understanding of on-demand audio space, engineering, recording, editing and arranging, signal flow, post production, mixing and mastering for dialog, sound design and music
MIDROLL MEDIA IS A WHOLLY-OWNED SUBSIDIARY OF THE E.W. SCRIPPS COMPANY.
Midroll Media is a leading podcast content company, advertising network and distribution platform that is changing the face of digital audio. It is the parent company of the Earwolf network and its top-ranked comedy podcasts; popular podcast listening platform and content network Stitcher and its premium subscription service; and the Midroll advertising network, representing over 300 of the world's largest podcasts. With offices in Los Angeles, New York City and San Francisco, Midroll was founded in 2010 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP).
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.